Bad and sad day
Randy
2009-09-11 17:23:28 UTC
Cheyenne was attacked by something the other day. Left deep claw
marks on her
nose and top of her head. Also broke her nose. She was fine for a
few days but
went down sometime last night. Found her way out in the pasture this
morning.
Doesn't look like she's going to make it and has started her death
rattles. She was
acting just fine and normal last night.

We're just not sure what caused the injuries.
And none of the goats or great pyreneese dogs were injured at the time
of that atack.
But 1 of the great pyr's had a big chunk about the size of a baseball
taken out of his
hip the week before. Bite wound is almost a perfect circle.

Randy
David V.
2009-09-12 01:35:16 UTC
Could it be a wild dog ?
--
Dave

"A lie can travel halfway around the world while the truth is
putting on its shoes."
Mark Twain
Randy
2009-09-12 03:09:02 UTC
Doubt it. Wild dog wouldn't be able to get thru the electric fence
and it's
real doubtful it would survive our 4 great pyreneese dogs.

The llamas wounds were on it's face and top of it's head. Large
slashes.

Guessing mountain lion as 1 has been spotted recently by several
neighbors. I just found out about that today. And I have no doubts
it will
be back. So I guess it's back to carrying a gun all the time again
and I
just don't like having to do that.

Randy
Could it be a wild dog ?
Susan Gawarecki

Could it be a wild dog ?
Randy
2009-09-18 20:23:27 UTC
Randy, I'm so sorry to hear this.  It's really amazing that Cheyenne
escaped in the first place.  It's terrible that she is so gravely injured.
Regards,
Susan G
Thanks. Cheyenne didn't survive.
We think she was defending her goat and dogs rather then fleeing like
she
should have been. She was also pregnant.

The injured great pyreneese is healing up nicely and is back out in
the
pastures helping guard. He's only 18 months old so he's still
considered a
pup but weighs in around 150 pounds.

Right now, it's looking like a mountain lion attack. Cat is still out
there and
we're more then a tad bit nervous. I've been talking to all the local
wildlife
experts on how to deal with it. It's pissed me off so it will be
dealt with.

Neighboring farmers are also a tad bit nervous.

Randy
David V.
2009-09-20 04:08:04 UTC
... It's pissed me off so it will be dealt with.
Send me the skin, with the face. I'll make me a hat out of it.

Mark Twain
Randy
2009-09-20 04:12:07 UTC
It seems that I was wrong. Not a big cat but a big black bear with a
really
bad temper. Jenine & I had a close encounter with it this afternoon
and I
didn't have a big enough gun with me. Was able to startle it and
scare it
back into the woods a little ways but we were able to get out of there
safely.
I'm going to need a bigger gun.

Randy
Mark Twain
David V.
2009-09-21 04:02:49 UTC
Post by Randy
It seems that I was wrong. Not a big cat but a big black bear
with a really bad temper. Jenine & I had a close encounter
with it this afternoon and I didn't have a big enough gun with
me. Was able to startle it and scare it back into the woods
a little ways but we were able to get out of there safely.
I'm going to need a bigger gun.
I could use a bear skin too. I'm into buckskinning and make all
kinds of things. I just don't have any guns to kill anything with.

It seems that this bear has lost it's fear of humans and is on
it's way to being a problem. In Yosemite we do not like to kill
our bears, but sometimes there's no other way. If a bear shows a
lack of fear of humans it is quietly dispatched. Even then
there's quite a few people that complain. It can't be helped; the
visitors - and employees - need to be protected.

Mark Twain
Randy
2009-09-23 20:06:41 UTC
Post by David V.
I could use a bear skin too. I'm into buckskinning and make all
kinds of things. I just don't have any guns to kill anything with.
It seems that this bear has lost it's fear of humans and is on
it's way to being a problem. In Yosemite we do not like to kill
our bears, but sometimes there's no other way. If a bear shows a
lack of fear of humans it is quietly dispatched. Even then
there's quite a few people that complain. It can't be helped; the
visitors - and employees - need to be protected.
--
Dave
Currently I'm not allowed to shoot this bear.
I think it touched the electric fence the other day while it was
raining and
the bear was standing in a ditch full of water. If so, doubt if we
will see that
bear again. Fence voltage is around 10,000 volts.

I've had game cameras out in the area where we saw it but so far not
getting
any pictures. I think I don't know how to set the stupid cameras
correctly.

Randy
David V.
2009-09-24 04:03:02 UTC
Currently I'm not allowed to shoot this bear. I think it
touched the electric fence the other day while it was raining
and the bear was standing in a ditch full of water. If so,
doubt if we will see that bear again. Fence voltage is around
10,000 volts.
That voltage stings a bit. If it is attacking livestock, can't
you get a "predation permit" or something like that?
I've had game cameras out in the area where we saw it but so
far not getting any pictures. I think I don't know how to set
the stupid cameras correctly.
I've never had to set one of those things. I deal with
entomology. Bugs are easy to catch.

Mark Twain
Randy
2009-09-25 03:07:46 UTC
Post by David V.
Currently I'm not allowed to shoot this bear. I think it
touched the electric fence the other day while it was raining
 and the bear was standing in a ditch full of water.  If so,
doubt if we will see that bear again.  Fence voltage is around
 10,000 volts.
That voltage stings a bit. If it is attacking livestock, can't
you get a "predation permit" or something like that?
I've had game cameras out in the area where we saw it but so
far not getting any pictures.  I think I don't know how to set
 the stupid cameras correctly.
I've never had to set one of those things. I deal with
entomology. Bugs are easy to catch.
--
Dave
If you're standing in water that voltage knocks you on your butt.
Same for snow. Found out the hard way.

Not to worried about a permit if it comes back.
Course I didn't say that.

Randy
David V.
2009-09-29 16:09:04 UTC
Post by Randy
If you're standing in water that voltage knocks you on your butt.
Same for snow. Found out the hard way.
Not to worried about a permit if it comes back.
Course I didn't say that.
I guess it works the same way with dogs.... SSS..... Shoot Shovel
Silence.

Mark Twain
Randy

s***@gmail.com
2009-09-19 06:52:02 UTC
Cheyenne was attacked by something the other day.  Left deep claw
marks on her
nose and top of her head.  Also broke her nose.   She was fine for a
few days but
went down sometime last night.  Found her way out in the pasture this
morning.
Doesn't look like she's going to make it and has started her death
rattles.  She was
acting just fine and normal last night.
We're just not sure what caused the injuries.
And none of the goats or great pyreneese dogs were injured at the time
of that atack.
But 1 of the great pyr's had a big chunk about the size of a baseball
taken out of his
hip the week before.  Bite wound is almost a perfect circle.
Randy
Randy, I am so sorry about Cheyenne and I think you may be right about
the predator. I hope you get it. Poor girl.
Susan R