Dave - Yosimite fires ?
r***@yahoo.com
2008-07-28 14:09:53 UTC
Are the fires getting closer to you ?

Randy
David V.
2008-07-28 14:45:59 UTC
Post by r***@yahoo.com
Are the fires getting closer to you ?
Not yet.

The _current_ fire is about 20 miles from me. I'm getting smoke
and ash from it though. It's a bad one though; it burned over
15,000 acres in less than 24 hours. Right now it's over 26,000
acres at 10% containment. In all that only 12 homes and 27 other
buildings.

Resources Committed : 2,543 Personnel (1,455 CAL FIRE), 268 Fire
Engines, 39 Dozers, 30 Watertenders,12 Airtankers,12 Helicopters.

Here's the official site;
http://www.fire.ca.gov/index_incidents_others.php
--
Dave

"A lie can travel halfway around the world while the truth is
putting on its shoes."
Mark Twain
r***@yahoo.com
2008-07-28 21:20:54 UTC
Post by David V.
Post by r***@yahoo.com
Are the fires getting closer to you ?
Not yet.
The _current_ fire is about 20 miles from me. I'm getting smoke
and ash from it though. It's a bad one though; it burned over
15,000 acres in less than 24 hours. Right now it's over 26,000
acres at 10% containment. In all that only 12 homes and 27 other
buildings.
Resources Committed : 2,543 Personnel (1,455 CAL FIRE), 268 Fire
Engines, 39 Dozers, 30 Watertenders,12 Airtankers,12 Helicopters.
Here's the official site;http://www.fire.ca.gov/index_incidents_others.php
--
Dave
Thats close enough.
I take it the air quality isn't the best right now.

Randy
David V.
2008-07-29 04:02:39 UTC
Thats close enough. I take it the air quality isn't the best
right now.
The wind is blowing the smoke to either side of me. It goes east
in the AM and switches around to the west in the PM.

I just got word they closed the highway. Now I'll have to drive
over 100 miles to a job that's 30 miles away. With gas prices as
they are, I'll make about $30 for the day.

Mark Twain
r***@yahoo.com
2008-07-29 16:16:53 UTC
Post by David V.
The wind is blowing the smoke to either side of me. It goes east
in the AM and switches around to the west in the PM.
I just got word they closed the highway. Now I'll have to drive
over 100 miles to a job that's 30 miles away. With gas prices as
they are, I'll make about $30 for the day.
--
Dave
Dang. How long do they figure the highway will be closed ?
What kind of job you got these days ?
How high is gas in CA these days ?
No clue as to the price here as we really cut back on our driving
lately.
Instead of going to town weekly now we try to stretch it out to at
least
2 weeks and sometimes longer between trips to town.

Randy
David V.
2008-07-30 03:17:51 UTC
Post by r***@yahoo.com
Dang. How long do they figure the highway will be closed ?
For the time being it's open from 9pm to 8am. That's too much
trouble so I'm taking a vacation day tomorrow and then I start
my regular 3 day weekend. Hopefully things will settle down by
Sunday.
Post by r***@yahoo.com
What kind of job you got these days ?
I'm the courier for the Fee Collection department. I take stuff
out to, and bring stuff back, from 3 entrance stations and 3 camp
ground offices. I usually drive over 100 miles a day at work.
Post by r***@yahoo.com
How high is gas in CA these days ?
It's down to $4.199 from a high of over $4.50
Post by r***@yahoo.com
No clue as to the price here as we really cut back on our
driving lately.
I tried to cut back, but the fire is making me drive more. 25
houses are gone now. Over a thousand are threatened.
Post by r***@yahoo.com
Instead of going to town weekly now we try to stretch it out
to at least 2 weeks and sometimes longer between trips to
town.
I wish I could do that. Usually, to get to work, I drive 10 miles
into town and take a free bus from there. For shopping, I can
save a bit by spending the gas money to go to a large chain
grocery store 20 miles away.