The fire....
David V.
2008-07-30 17:02:45 UTC
The fire, 20 miles away from me, grew last night at the rate of
almost a thousand acres an hour.

That's scary. That area is just exploding. Luckily the part
moving towards town, and build up areas (by that I mean 5 acre
minimum lot size) has slowed. Only 21 homes gone in over 36,000 acres
burned.
--
Dave

"A lie can travel halfway around the world while the truth is
putting on its shoes."
Mark Twain
r***@yahoo.com
2008-07-31 18:05:09 UTC
Post by David V.
The fire, 20 miles away from me, grew last night at the rate of
almost a thousand acres an hour.
That's scary. That area is just exploding. Luckily the part
moving towards town, and build up areas (by that I mean 5 acre
minimum lot size) has slowed. Only 21 homes gone in over 36,000 acres
burned.
--
Dave
Is it headed your way ?
Got your house packed up and animals ready to load into a trailer ?

Randy
Susan Gawarecki
2008-08-01 01:00:42 UTC
I'm praying for rain for ya'll. I'll have my boyfriend (who's part
Cherokee) do a remote raindance.

Also, there are some products on the market that you can spray on your
structures to protect them. You might want to check them out, if not
for this fire season, for the future ones. There's good info at
http://www.precisionliftinc.com/gel.shtml - also a video at
.

I plan to approach my neighbors about sharing the cost to get a
truck-mounted applicator and each of us then buy enough to protect our
structures. Where I live is wooded, and even Tennessee has wildfires.

Susan G
Randy
David V.
2008-08-01 02:07:33 UTC
Post by Susan Gawarecki
I'm praying for rain for ya'll. I'll have my boyfriend (who's
part Cherokee) do a remote raindance.
That couldn't hurt. We need all the help we can get.
- also a video at http://youtu.be/aNEcZB7y-lM
.
I plan to approach my neighbors about sharing the cost to get
a truck-mounted applicator and each of us then buy enough to
protect our structures. Where I live is wooded, and even
Tennessee has wildfires.
My roof has a few years left on it. I'm going to check into a
"standing seam" metal roof. That should shed embers pretty good.
I'm also in the process of clearing all the brush on the down
hill side. That would be over 1000 feet of clearance. The
neighbor is doing the same thing. Then we're going to borrow
another neighbors bulldozer and clear a road along the fence line
on the property below us. A fire has been though this area twice
before (before my time) and all the neighbors are very nervous.

The fire seems to be slowing down a bit and they're getting a
handle on it. It's at 40% containment and it's burning towards
the dozer lines. It seems the worst is over..... hopefully.

Mark Twain
r***@yahoo.com
2008-08-01 10:22:09 UTC
for this fire season, for the future ones.  There's good info athttp://www.precisionliftinc.com/gel.shtml- also a video http://youtu.be/aNEcZB7y-lM
I plan to approach my neighbors about sharing the cost to get a
truck-mounted applicator and each of us then buy enough to protect our
structures.  Where I live is wooded, and even Tennessee has wildfires.
Susan G
Silly me, I never even thought of doing a remote rain dance.
I'm also part Cherokee. I do a pretty mean rain dance from
time to time.

Randy
David V.
2008-08-01 15:16:17 UTC
Post by r***@yahoo.com
Silly me, I never even thought of doing a remote rain dance.
I'm also part Cherokee. I do a pretty mean rain dance from
time to time.
I was at a rendezvous, an event where people dress up like
"mountain men" and fur trappers from the 1850s, and some natives
showed up. They did a rain dance so it would rain on our parade.
It was all in fun and we traded arrowhead making techniques and
some beads.

More on that fire:

60% contained. Way to go guys (and gals)!

Date/Time Started: June 25, 2008, 3:15 pm
Acres Burned: 34,034 acres

Structures Destroyed: 21 Residences and 33 Outbuildings
Injuries: 22 minor

Cause: Human (Target Shooting)
Estimated Cost: $23.8 million
Resources Committed :
4,531 Personnel
466 Fire Engines
96 Hand Crews
65 Dozers
55 Watertenders
16 Helicopters
12 Airtankers

Mark Twain
Susan Gawarecki

12 Airtankers
David V.
2008-08-01 23:00:40 UTC
Post by Susan Gawarecki
How would target shooting start a fire? Was he shooting at
bottles full of gasoline?
The bullet hitting a rock and making a spark, or just a hot shell
casing hitting dry grass. It's that dry out there.

It appears that they are not going to press charges. The guy
called it in right away. He is well known and would never
intentionally start such a fire. It was an accident.

Mark Twain
David V.
2008-08-01 02:00:25 UTC
Is it headed your way ? Got your house packed up and animals
ready to load into a trailer ?
The fire is headed away from me.... at the rate of 3 acres per
minute. This is the second fastest moving wild fire in state
history and probably 4th or 5th in the country. The fastest I
know of covered 20,000 acres in two hours.

My big trailer has rotten tires. I'm getting new ones next week.