Boarding
Jenn
2009-02-16 22:32:30 UTC
Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone had an idea on where I could find places that
board llamas. I checked the ILR website but the search pulled up
nothing throughout the country. Not sure if it is working right, since
the same happened when I searched for transportation services.
Basically we are moving out of our house here in TX and into somewhere
temporary through the summer, and then we'll likely move up to the MA/
RI area. So I am looking for somewhere either around here (TX) or in
New England to board our 6 llamas until we have a place up north. Any
suggestions on where to look? We have 2 recently gelded males, 1
yearling, 2 females, and 1 cria.

Thanks in advance,

Jenn
r***@yahoo.com
2009-02-18 14:52:10 UTC
Any luck on finding boarding ?
I'm not real familer with either state so I can't offer much help but
I can wish you good luck.

Randy
Jenn
Rick
2009-02-18 15:56:12 UTC
Post by Jenn
Hi everyone,
Just wondering if anyone had an idea on where I could find places that
board llamas. I checked the ILR website but the search pulled up
nothing throughout the country. Not sure if it is working right, since
the same happened when I searched for transportation services.
Basically we are moving out of our house here in TX and into somewhere
temporary through the summer, and then we'll likely move up to the MA/
RI area. So I am looking for somewhere either around here (TX) or in
New England to board our 6 llamas until we have a place up north. Any
suggestions on where to look? We have 2 recently gelded males, 1
yearling, 2 females, and 1 cria.
Thanks in advance,
Jenn
Jenn,

It has been my experience that there are very few "boarding"
facilities for llamas. However, if you search for some of the mid to
big size llama farms, they probably will have room for your small
herd.

With hay prices the was it has been here in the midwest, I wouldn't be
surprised with a bill of $10 - $20 per day for your six critters.

Good luck!

Regards,

Rick Boesen
Olivet, MI
www.FiberArtFest.com
www.QuesoCabezaFarm.com
Jenn
2009-02-19 05:15:19 UTC
Rick and Randy,

Thanks for your responses. I did have one kind person e-mail me about
possibly taking in my llamas temporarily. There are many details to
work out, and I'm not sure if our llamas will all get along, but it's
a possibility.

Rick, what are hay prices like where you are? Here in the DFW area of
Texas, they are about $10 per small bale (about 40 lbs) and about $25
for the large alfalfa bales. We get the 50-lb Bluebonnet chow bags
here for about $15. Up in Mass where we are headed eventually, bales
are around $7.50, so that's a little improvement.... I'm not sure what
prices will look like in the future. Do we have any hope that they'll
go down? We've had llamas for only the past 3 years, and all I've seen
is the prices climb.

Jenn
Rick
2009-02-19 13:33:31 UTC
Post by Rick
Post by Jenn
[...]
Olivet, MIwww.FiberArtFest.comwww.QuesoCabezaFarm.com- Hide quoted text -
Jenn,

Third cutting alfalfa hay for the small 50# bales are going for about
$5 / bale at the moment. In my area, this is very, very high. Gas
prices last year is the biggest issue. The growing season was
actually quite kind to us in 2008. Those prices in TX seem
unreasonable. That kind of feed bill would be a bad thing.

We feed llama grain that runs about $15 - $20 per 40# bag.

Regards,

Rick Boesen
Olivet, MI
www.FiberArtFest.com
www.QuesoCabezaFarm.com
r***@yahoo.com
2009-02-19 19:56:57 UTC
Post by Jenn
Rick and Randy,
Thanks for your responses. I did have one kind person e-mail me about
possibly taking in my llamas temporarily. There are many details to
work out, and I'm not sure if our llamas will all get along, but it's
a possibility.
Rick, what are hay prices like where you are? Here in the DFW area of
Texas, they are about $10 per small bale (about 40 lbs) and about $25
for the large alfalfa bales. We get the 50-lb Bluebonnet chow bags
here for about $15. Up in Mass where we are headed eventually, bales
are around $7.50, so that's a little improvement.... I'm not sure what
prices will look like in the future. Do we have any hope that they'll
go down? We've had llamas for only the past 3 years, and all I've seen
is the prices climb.
Jenn
Those are some real steep prices for hay.
We usually get ours free but if we had to pay for it I would say it
would
be around $2.50 to $3.50 for a mixed grass small bale.
Grain runs around 5.00 or 6.00 per 50 pound bag.

I've already made arrangements for this spring, summer & fall. Got
some
neighbors that have large hay fields but no longer hay. So, I will
use my
tractor and their haying equipment. I get free hay out of the deal
and they
get their pastures maintained.

Randy
George Knierim
2009-02-25 00:39:06 UTC
I'm located in Jacksboro, Texas. I'm currently paying $10.00 for a small
bale of Alfalfa and $7.50 for Coastal. The large square bales are going for
about $140.00.

George
r***@yahoo.com
2009-02-25 13:35:22 UTC
I'm located in Jacksboro, Texas.  I'm currently paying $10.00 for a small
bale of Alfalfa and $7.50 for Coastal.  The large square bales are going for
about $140.00.
George
Dang..................................

I got 40 small squares 2 days ago. Avg price per bale was FREE....
That will be different today as I need some alfalfa. Couple of years
ago
that was around $6.00 a small square. I'm guessing it's much higher
now.

Randy

Randy
r***@yahoo.com
2009-02-25 20:57:25 UTC
I'm located in Jacksboro, Texas.  I'm currently paying $10.00 for a small
bale of Alfalfa and $7.50 for Coastal.  The large square bales are going for
about $140.00.
George
A small 75 pound bale of alfalfa was $10.50 today.

Randy