Livestock guard dogs
r***@yahoo.com
2008-08-10 14:51:10 UTC
Just thought I would let folks know here that a new group of folks
have
started taking Great Pyreneese, Antolians, etc that are in rescue
groups
and are evaluating them to see if they can be used as livestock
guards.
If we think they can after evaluating them for a period of time, we
then
will either attempt to train them as guards, send them back to the
rescue
group or place them in a house as pets.

Jenine & I will be working mainly with younger great pyreneese.

Randy
Susan Gawarecki
2008-08-13 18:52:02 UTC
Good for you, Randy.

There's a demand for working guard dogs, and if it helps rehome those
that didn't work out as "pets" then all the better. Let us know when
there are livestock guards available, and we'll help spread the word.

Susan G
Randy
r***@yahoo.com
2008-08-13 23:28:26 UTC
Post by Susan Gawarecki
Good for you, Randy.
There's a demand for working guard dogs, and if it helps rehome those
that didn't work out as "pets" then all the better.  Let us know when
there are livestock guards available, and we'll help spread the word.
Susan G
I think it will be interesting at the least.
A few folks in the group have gotten started already but we're moving
little slow at our place. I have a few fences to mend and hot wires
string before we will take in anything other then pups.

I will pretty much guarentee any dogs coming off out farm will be
great
guards. We have a couple of really good adult dogs that train pups.

Put the word out and I will try to get some contact info.
This is nationwide effort and I think there are a few members in
Canada also.

I have a feeling that due to the economy being in the toilet that more
dogs will
be dumped out in the country and with rescue groups. I've been
seeing more
unfamiler dogs running the roads in our area the past few weeks.

Randy